In this letter, I would like to speak with you about your relationship with your daughters. I do not think there is a sweeter relationship on God’s earth than the relationship of a father and his daughter. When I think of my daughters, I think of sunshine, joy, smiles, blessings, and happiness. My daughters can lift my spirits more than anything or anyone on earth can. If I allow myself to do so, I could very easily become the proverbial father who is wrapped around his little girls’ fingers.
Notice with me the great value of a daughter. Besides your wife, no one can comfort you and cheer you like your daughter. Throughout your life you will find that: (1) She will be there for her father even when no one else will be there; and that (2) There is a special love in her heart for her father that, often times, cannot be shaken by anyone or anything. As her father, you have the opportunity to help shape her and mold her into being a great woman of God, as well as a great wife and mother, because you can give her some advice on these things from a perspective that her mother cannot. In you, she can see what a husband and father should be. Here are some positive things that you can do in order to have a good relationship with your daughter or daughter to be:
1. Hug her often. She really needs that. There is an old saying that goes like this: “Hug her or someone else will.” That usually ends up to be true.
2. From time to time, take her out, and spend time alone with her. Your daughter will remember and cherish those experiences long after she is grown and on her own.
3. Love and treat her mother right. The way you treat her mother will make a lasting impression on her, and will help her in her relationship with her future husband.
4. Your daughter will probably have a tendency to try to manipulate you. Be loving toward her but firm at the same time. Don’t let her get away with disobedience, bad attitudes, and selfishness just because she is a girl. Teach her the great lesson of obedience from an early age.
5. Teach her the things of the Lord so that when she grows up and has to face the world alone, she will already know to lean on the Lord.
6. Tell her you love her often. One of the greatest gifts that a father can give his daughter is a sense of love, belonging, and security.
The relationship between you and your daughter can be a tremendous blessing. Do your part to make it happen.
Thanking God for my Daughters,
P.T. (Power Thoughts):
Joseph Addison said, “Certain is it that there is no kind of affection so purely angelic as of a father to a daughter. In love to our wives there is desire; to our sons, ambition; but to our daughters there is something which there are no words to express.”
St. Jerome said, “Let your daughter have, first of all, the book of Psalms for holiness of heart, and be instructed in the Proverbs of Solomon for her godly life.”
Theodore Hesburg said, “The most important thing that a father can do for his children is to love their mother.”